Amazon says thanks to Baron and Tantrica

Baron and Tantrica, the duo that created this very special place.
Photo by Namida Giulia

By Persephone Bolero

We have events almost every weekend in the Amazon. We’ve had parades, public executions, exotic rituals, weddings, contests, and auctions. Sunday’s event was unique and special among them. Dozens of Amazonians stepped out of their characters to express their gratitude to Tantrica and Baron, two people without which we’d have no Amazon sim.

The celebration was organized by Kylie Storm, leader of the Mercenaries, and she has a list of more than a dozen others who pitched in to make it happen. Many more photos of the event can be seen on the Amazon in SL Flikr site.

The birthday girl shakes her stuff on stage.
Photo by Persephone Bolero

Representatives of several factions got up to talk about their experience in the jungle and say their thanks to the couple. Afterward, there were a series of dance numbers, choreographed by Lynxa. The grand finale for the show was a dance number to Guns and Roses’ “Welcome to the Jungle,” performed by none other than the guests of honor.

The show ended with Tantrica appearing to sacrifice Baron, but it was her birthday, so no one objected.

The speakers touched on a number of points about what the Amazon has meant to them and the indelible mark this unique place has left on their Second Life experience.


Eve Fintan, owner of the Catadore Resort
Photo by Namida Giulia


“Your creation has fulfilled so many people’s desires. A place that can bring excitement, love, lust, joy, friendships, releases anxiety, and at times caused some. But we all come here for the simple reason that we love this place,” said Storm.

Femke, who plays a redheaded seeker, spoke with understanding of the challenges that Baron and Tantrica face in trying to make the place function as a creative platform for such a diverse group of people granted enormous amounts of freedom to pursue their interests.

“And do not worry,” Femke said. “You can yell to me sometimes. I understand it, because I see the effort and the bad things behind the scenes you have to [deal] with.”

Kylie Storm, leader of the Mercenaries
Photo by Persephone Bolero

Maccus, an Amazon mentor, reminisced about his roleplay with Tantrica over the years, which he said was filled with constant antagonism.

"And that is the beauty and the fun of roleplay. In character, we may not like each other so much, but out of character, I look at her and Baron as very good friends who I have nothing but respect for,” Maccus said.

Truly, there are few greater roleplay joys in the Amazon than a spat with Tantrica and Baron.

Khaing, chieftess of the Xoco, said there was much about the Amazon to love, but she really appreciated the community she found here.

From left: Black Widow, Eddie Dynami, and Harold
Photo by Persephone Bolero

“It’s this -- the environment and my friendships -- that keep me in Amazon, and I’m sure that goes for all of my group and loads of others,” she said.

Eve Fintan, who co-owns the Catadore Resort, commented on the complexity of the Amazon roleplay system, which includes illnesses, currency, CARP, and a food system.

“On top of that, Tantrica and Baron are always considering ways to make things more interesting with additional features. All of these things set Amazon River apart,” she said. “On behalf of my partner, Dylan Fintan and Amazon River Polite Society, we thank you, Tantrica and Baron, for all that you do as a team.”

The Xocos danced in gratitude.
Photo by Namida Giulia

Others commented on these aspects and more, and I don’t think all the speakers combined covered everything there is to praise about the Amazon.

“The passion that Tantrica and Baron have put into the Amazon is a tangible presence that all of us here have felt,” Syd Straaf of the Raiders said.

“I just wanted to let you both know how much I appreciate all the hard work you both put in here for everyone to have fun and enjoyment here,” said Zahara Wildcat Chey, leader of the Assassins.

“We Legion respect you greatly,” said Eddie Dynami, who leads the Legion with his partner, Evolly Dynami. “Stay awesome and keep up the wonderful work that you, Baron, and the Amazon leaders team do for us.”

“How the beauty of it captures us... how the friendly and super sexy inhabitants welcome us…” swooned Sif of the Matis tribe.

Lynxa choreographed the dance routines.
Photo by Persephone Bolero

“No matter what twists and turns SL throws at me, I always make my way back here,” Lynxa said in her speech, and Sara Ronas-Hamilton of the Amazon Cartel expressed her thanks to Baron and Tantrica for listening to her suggestions.

“I am, honestly, a bit overwhelmed,” Tantrica said after the speeches were given.

Thank you all “for being here and contributing to the Amazon every day through your roleplay!” Baron said.

In the interest of time I didn’t give a speech, but I was going to touch upon the same points Femke did, from my own experience. Back in 2007, before we even had sculpties or mesh, I owned a medieval roleplay sim called Bondomia. I had the same vision of a roleplay arena that facilitated a wide range of creative styles, including those of us who like complex story arcs in which characters grow and evolve.

Tall, dark, and handsome, Baron is the other half of the Amazon duo.
Photo by Namida Giulia

Bondomia was never as popular, large, or complex as the Amazon, but even at its scale, it was an exhausting effort to keep it running. There were many rewards that came from doing it, and I still get people to this day IM me to tell me how they miss the place. (I thank them and recommend they try the Amazon.)

Nonetheless, there was this other side of the job that wasn’t so pleasant. Some people could become so upset at me over the most petty matters as if I had destroyed everything they held dear. The vitriol directed at me was often over the top and always completely unnecessary.

Tantrica and Baron have generated a far larger audience, and I can't imagine how awful their hatemail is. It speaks of an incredible inner strength the couple has not only kept the Amazon going. They also continue to make it grow. Knowing what it takes to do what they do, out of respect for what they’ve accomplished, every time I come to the Amazon I throw my full energy into creating something spectacular. I take a lot of pride in supporting Baron, Tantrica, and all the people I encounter on this fantastic journey.

Together, Baron and Tantrica have managed to bring together an amazing community, and Sunday’s event was reflective of the very positive energy that flows through every prim in this truly special place.

Photo by Anahi (Ari)

Comments