Worth a thousand words

"Photo Safari" by Cento















By Bolero News Services

AMAZON -- A local photographer, Cento, is using his photography talents to capture life in the Amazon. The series of photographs -- which can be viewed on the artist's' Flickr site as well as the Amazon Flickr group -- explore different experiences of the people that call this jungle their home, whether it be hunting crocodiles or gathering fruit.

Cento has released two sets of photographs, and he’s working on a third. His answers about this upcoming exhibit were a bit elusive, but hints were given that it may involve the fanatic Monk cult known as seekers.


"Amazon Settler"

Cento is also contemplating the possibility of opening up a gallery to display his work and bring some culture to the primitive jungle.

Bolero News Services tracked down this brilliant shutterbug at his healing clinic near the Mapnguari to ask him about his work and the creative process behind it.

BNS: What inspired you to do this photography work?
Cento: Sometimes you get in a rut doing the same old thing. Sometimes you just want to push yourself a bit. take on a new challenge a new persona. I really enjoy doing creative things, and I get so much energy from that.


"Amazon Predator/Prey"

BNS: So, how would you describe this collection? What did you hope to convey with it?
Cento: Well, with a lot of things in life, we just race around not stopping to notice or even appreciate what goes on around us. This is such a beautiful place -- and I don’t just mean the jungle itself, which is indeed beautiful -- but the people who are here make it such a rich experience. So I’ve tried to capture all aspects of the jungle here -- the way people live and the different scenarios. Sure, I’m in every photo, but I merely represent the people that live here. My goal, and the goal of the project, is to honor the jungle and its people.

BNS: How long has it taken you since you first conceived of the project until you released the first set?

Cento: Maybe a little more than two weeks. When I think of an idea, I guess I get very single minded about it. I’ve always worked quickly when I do creative work, maybe even a bit manic about it.

"Amazon Native"

BNS: I think great art is always the result of an obsession. You worked with some models for this project. The woman in 'Amazon Native' is really pretty, and I really like 'Predator/Prey.' Was it hard to find models you can work with well?

Cento: I’m the one that’s hard to work with. (laughs) The native model is Lali of the Xocó, by the way. I have friends who are willing to help, but I have a set idea in mind. I’m very fussy about getting it right and not very open to suggestions. But everyone had a fun time.

Comments